Problem in accessing long paths.

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Fri Mar 6 09:09:09 EST 2009

venutaurus539 at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello All,
>             I have a requirement where I've to access folders with
> path lengths >255 ( Windows only supports 255). To do this I've
> created junction points for the folders whose length is > 255. The
problem is my python script is unable to recognize these junction
points.

> As an example I've a junction point JC04 pointing to a folder
> DeepPathLevel57which has path length around 700. When I do
>
> "cd E:\JunctionPaths\JC04\DeepPathLevel57" at command prompt, am able to
access the folder. When I try to list the directories in that folder
using os.listdir in python am getting the below error.

You shouldn't need to mess around with junction points;
just recast your r"c:\very\long\...\path" as
ur"\\?\c:\very\long\...path" and pass that into whatever
function you're using.

More info here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247(VS.85).aspx

TJG