Sphinx for API documentation

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 20:38:25 EST 2009

On 2009-03-05 19:23, Paul Hildebrandt wrote:

> Thanks, I've been playing with that but I believe it assumes a reST
> structure you build, then use autodoc to bring in your code's
> docstrings.  I would rather not hand generate the main reST
> structure.  I am hoping to use Sphinx like Epydoc and just run it on a
> code base and have it generate the API documentation.

Sphinx will probably never grow the ability to do that for you. Using epydoc as
a library to collect docstrings (or just locate documentable objects) is
certainly doable, though. You can use that information to construct the reST (or
just the reST structure with autodoc commands) for Sphinx to generate
nice-looking docs.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."