Parsing/Crawler Questions..

bruce bedouglas at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 5 12:31:23 EST 2009

hi..

the url i'm focusing on is irrelevant to the issue i'm trying to solve at
this time.

i think an approach will be to fire up a number of parsing attempts, and to
track the returned depts/classes/etc... in theory (hopefully) i should be
able to create a process to build a kind of statistical representation of
what the site looks like (names of depts, names/number of classes for given
depts, etc..) if i'm correct, this would provide a complete
"list/understanding" of what the courselist looks like....

i could then run the parsing process a number of times, examining the actual
value/results for the query, and taking the highest/oldest values for the
given query.. the idea being that the app will return correct results for
most of the queries, most of the time.. so from a statistical basis.. i can
take the results that are returned with the highest frequency...

so this approach might work. but again, haven't seen anything in the
literature/'net that talks about this...

thoughts...

thanks