qt, gtk, wx for py3 ?

Peter Billam peter at www.pjb.com.au
Thu Mar 5 03:31:22 EST 2009

On 2009-03-04, Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> I don't have a horse in this race, but apart from needing to
> update that page based on recent developments (at least for Qt: a
> licensing change which, being someone in favour of Free Software,
Likewise...

> I'm not particularly enthusiastic about),
On http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/software/pyqt/intro ...
  "PyQt does not include a copy of Qt. You must
   obtain a correctly licensed copy of Qt yourself."
Does that refer to what you're refering to ?

>> On 2009-03-03, Mike Driscoll <kyoso... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > It should be noted that the port for 3.0 hasn't started yet for
>> > wxPython and I'm not seeing anything about a port for PyQt either
>> > on their website.

I mailed riverbankcomputing about PyQt for Py3; Phil Thompson replied
> The next release of PyQt is planned for the end of this month.
> It *might* make it to that release.

which, *if* it happens, is not so far away.
But that still leaves Gtk and Wx...

> Take a look at this thread:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/pyqt@riverbankcomputing.com/msg15072.html
Good thread...
> http://www.gtk.org/features.html
Thank you...
> http://www.qtsoftware.com/products/platform/qt-for-embedded-linux/
Likewise...

> I don't think it's sensible to hang around waiting for Python 3
> library availability. You'd be better served using Python 2 straight
> away and then considering moving to Python 3 when such libraries
> finally become available.
> Paul

I might end up doing that, to get the feel of Qt v. Gtk v. Wx,
but I'd be unproductive in that mode because my app needs a module
I've just written in Py3, having bought Mark Summerfield's book.

Thanks,  Regards,  Peter

--
Peter Billam       www.pjb.com.au    www.pjb.com.au/comp/contact.html