qt, gtk, wx for py3 ?

Tue Mar 3 14:15:23 EST 2009

Peter Billam wrote:
> I've been trying (newbie warning still on) tkinter with python3.0,
> and I'm getting to that stage where I'm beginning to think there
> must be a better a way to do this...  But I'm unsure if the
> big names Qt, Gtk and Wx are available for Py3 yet - e.g.
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=browse&c=533&show=all doesn't
> seem to show any... What's the gossip on these toolkits for Py3 ?

Well, here are my biases (you will only get biased answers, because
this is clearly a taste question).

Tkinter: solid, well-established (hence fairly stable), relatively
         well-documented, comprehensible in a "from the roots" way.

Wx: a lot of mileage, looks best of the machine-independent packages
     across a raft of systems (does native interaction well), not so
     well-documented, but has a plethora of examples, comprehensible
     in a "grab and modify" way.

Qt: simplest model, well-documented, until very recently not available
     on Windows w/o a restrictive license or substantial cost.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org