Upgrade Python on a Mac

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Mon Mar 2 17:16:48 EST 2009

In article
<50ca1bd0-b8d5-478c-aeaf-dd2b83187a5b at j38g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
 Rey Bango <reybango at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to upgrade the installed version of Python that came standard
> on OS X (Leopard) with either 2.6.1 or 3.0.1. Before I stick my foot
> in it, I just wanted to get a better understanding of the process.
>
> If I download the disk image installer from here:
> http://www.python.org/download/
> will it allow me to upgrade my existing version or is it more involved
> (eg: making a new build).
>
> I've looked through the python.org page for upgrade instructions for a
> Mac and haven't found it.

The python.org OS X installers install a self-contained version of
python for each major version of python, i.e. the 2.6.x installers
install or upgrade python2.6, 3.0.x -> python3.0.  They do not interfere
with or disturb the Apple-supplied 2.5.x version.  Multiple versions of
python can co-exist on OS X.  See, for instance:
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.apple/15546>

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org