Characters aren't displayed correctly

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Mon Mar 2 10:50:19 EST 2009

On Mar 3, 2:22 am, Philip Semanchuk <phi... at semanchuk.com> wrote:
> On Mar 2, 2009, at 9:50 AM, Hussein B wrote:

> Personally, I'd add a debug breakpoint just after extracting the
> characters from the database, like so:
>
>     import pdb
>     pdb.set_trace()
>
> When you're stopped at the breakpoint, examine the string you get
> back. Is it what you expect? For instance, is it Unicode?
>
>     isinstance(my_string, unicode)
>
> Or maybe you're expecting a utf-8 encoded string, so examine one of
> the non-ASCII characters. Is it really utf-8 encoded?
>
>  >>> my_string = u"snö".encode("utf-8")
>  >>> my_string[0]
> 's'
>  >>> my_string[1]
> 'n'
>  >>> my_string[2]
> '\xc3'
>  >>> my_string[3]
> '\xb6'
>
> Since you feel pretty confident that you're getting what you expect
> out of the database, maybe you want to eliminate that from
> consideration. As a test, construct "by hand" a string that represents
> the email message you're trying to send. If you send that with the
> proper content-type header and you still don't get the results you
> want, then we can all stop discussing the database. Make sense?
>
> Forget about the HTML markup, too. That's just a distraction. Start
> with the simplest problem first, and then add pieces on.
>
> See if you can successfully construct and send an email that says
> "Hello world" in English/ASCII. If that works, change it to Arabic. If
> that works, change the email format to HTML. If that works, starts
> pulling the content from the database. If that works, then you're
> done. =)

Yuk. You are asking him to write extra speculative code when he's
having extreme difficulty debugging the code he's already got! He's
already said he's getting ?????? soon after the database retrieval ---
you want him to work on the downstream problem when the upstream is
still very muddy???

Sheeesh.