file locking...

bruce bedouglas at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 2 06:15:06 EST 2009

hi lawrence..

my concern about a "gatekeeper" wasn't so much related to performance, as
the possibility of race conditions... if you only have a few client apps
trying to access the files in the target dir, than you can in theory
probably be ok..

for my app, the client process seeking files in the dir are client processes
hitting a web service. i don't want these guys to be in a potential "wait"
state, which could happen if i had the back end app simply do a try and hope
for the best on the lock file.

what i believe i'm ultimately going to need, is some form of a queuing
system, where the client app, via a backend webservice/process, puts in a
queue/order saying it's ready for a batch of files.. and have this fifo
process somehow gets the files ready for processing for the client...

thanks....