Performance of Python 3

Tim Rowe digitig at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 05:28:01 EST 2009

2009/3/1 Paul Rubin <http>:
> Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> writes:
>> I'm not sure what you think the speed of Ruby has to do with Python.
>
> In the real world, people care about the relative speed of programs.

Yes, and they care about the cost of programs, and about the
functionality of programs. If I wanted fast code I wouldn't use Python
*or* Ruby (I'd probably use FORTH; C would be a more mainstream
choice) -- but don't expect the program soon. Even where speed does
matter, plain Python against plain Ruby isn't a meaningful comparison,
because a common style in Python (and probably in Ruby too) is to get
the code working, then if there are any *measured* bottlenecks to
optimise them in C++.  That means that in practice there won't be a
perceptible speed difference for the user.

--
Tim Rowe