file locking...

Nigel Rantor wiggly at wiggly.org
Sun Mar 1 13:11:41 EST 2009

Hi Bruce,

Excuse me if I'm a little blunt below. I'm ill grumpy...

bruce wrote:
> hi nigel...
>
> using any kind of file locking process requires that i essentially have a
> gatekeeper, allowing a single process to enter, access the files at a
> time...

I don't beleive this is a necessary condition. That would only be the
case if you allowed yourself a single lock.

> i can easily setup a file read/write lock process where a client app
> gets/locks a file, and then copies/moves the required files from the initial
> dir to a tmp dir. after the move/copy, the lock is released, and the client
> can go ahead and do whatever with the files in the tmp dir.. thie process
> allows multiple clients to operate in a psuedo parallel manner...
>
> i'm trying to figure out if there's a much better/faster approach that might
> be available.. which is where the academic/research issue was raised..

I'm really not sure why you want to move the files around. Here are two
different approaches from the one I initially gave you that deals
perfectly well with a directory where files are constantly being added.

In both approaches we are going to try and avoid using OS-specific
locking mechanisms, advisory locking, flock etc. So it should work
everywhere as long as you also have write access to the filesystem
you're on.

Approach 1 - Constant Number of Processes

This requires no central manager but for every file lock requires a few
OS calls.

Start up N processes with the same working directory WORK_DIR.

Each process then follows this algorithm:

- sleep for some small random period.

- scan the WORK_DIR for a FILE that does not have a corresponding LOCK_FILE

- open LOCK_FILE in append mode and write our PID into it.

- close LOCK_FILE

- open LOCK_FILE

- read first line from LOCK_FILE and compare to our PID

- if the PID we just read from the LOCK_FILE matches ours then we may
process the corresponding FILE otherwise another process beat us to it.

- repeat

After processing a file completely you can remove it and the lockfile at
the same time.

As long as filenames follow some pattern then you can simply say that
the LOCK_FILE for FILE is called FILE.lock

e.g.

WORK_DIR  : /home/wiggly/var/work
FILE      : /home/wiggly/var/work/data_2354272.dat
LOCK_FILE : /home/wiggly/var/work/data_2354272.dat.lock

Approach 2 - Managed Processes

Here we have a single main process that spawns children. The children
listen for filenames on a pipe that the parent has open to them.

The parent constantly scans the WORK_DIR for new files to process and as
it finds one it sends that filename to a child process.

You can either be clever about the children and ensure they tell the
parent when they're free or just pass them work in a round-robin fashion.

I hope the two above descriptions make sense, let me know if they don't.