Iterator class to allow self-restarting generator expressions?

Mark Tolonen metolone+gmane at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 11:39:46 EST 2009

"John O'Hagan" <research at johnohagan.com> wrote in message
news:200903011520.29405.research at johnohagan.com...
> Inspired by some recent threads here about using classes to extend the
> behaviour of iterators, I'm trying to replace some some top-level
> functions
> aimed at doing such things with a class.
>
> So far it's got a test for emptiness, a non-consuming peek-ahead method,
> and
> an extended next() which can return slices as well as the normal mode, but
> one thing I'm having a little trouble with is getting generator
> expressions
> to restart when exhausted. This code works for generator functions:

[snip code]

The Python help shows the Python-equivalent code (or go to the source) for
things like itertools.islice and itertools.icycle, which sound like what you
are re-implementing.  It looks like to handle generators icycle saves the
items as they are generated in another list, then uses the list to generate
successive iterations.

-Mark