Performance of Python 3

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sun Mar 1 11:10:57 EST 2009

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> writes:
>> I'm not sure what you think the speed of Ruby has to do with Python.
>
> In the real world, people care about the relative speed of programs.

Fine, but the Shootout on Alioth isn't a particularly pythonic one. It
deals almost exclusively with computationally intensive tasks, i.e.
programs where any decent Python developer would either import Psyco or
speed up the code in Cython. As long as that gives you improvements of
100-1000 times almost for free, I wouldn't bother too much with changing
the platform just because someone shows me benchmark results of some code
that I absolutely don't need in my daily work.

Stefan