Regarding the lxml import error only in a web-request

nagraj nagraj.sigma at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 03:34:13 EDT 2009

I'm trying to run Django from Apache using FastCGI in a shared hosting
environment on DH. I've installed python 2.5.2 onto my home
environment. And all the necessary libraries including lxml 2.1.3,
libxml2, libxslt, flup, etc.

I'm facing a strange issue with lxml, which occurs only when it is
used from the webrequests. I'm getting the following error:

Exception Type:         ImportError
Exception Value:        ~/opt/lib/python2.5/site-packages/lxml-2.1.3-
py2.5-linux-x86_64.egg/lxml/etree.so: undefined
symbol:xmlSchematronSetValidStructuredErrors

it basically comes when i'm trying to do this in my Django views.py
from lxml import etree

But the same is running perfectly well in my python console. Even with
the following command it works well
python -c "from lxml import etree"

I've almost checked every installation and library paths.. not able to
figure out what exactly would be the issue.

Please help me.
Nagraj.