Behaviour of os.rename()

venutaurus539 at gmail.com venutaurus539 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 10:12:21 EDT 2009

Hello all,
            I got a suspicion on the behaviour of os.rename
(src,dst).If the src is the path of a file and dst is a new filename
this os.rename() function is infact creating a new file with the dst
name in the current working directory and leaving the src as it is. Is
this the expected behavior? If i want the actual source file in its
orignal location to be renamed without doing os.chdir() to that
directory, is that possible?

Ex: if my script ren.py contains the following code:

os.rename("C:\\Folder1\\Folder2\\file1,file2)

              and my ren.py is in the folder D:\. Now if I run this
script, it is creating file2 in D:\ but I want it in C:
\Folder1\Folder2. is that possible?

            When I checked the normal Windows rename function, it is
working to my expectations but I can't use it because my file is in a
deep path (>255) which Windows won't support.

Thanks in advance,
Venu.