Building python 64-bit on OS 10.5?

Dan Yamins dyamins at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 20:19:28 EDT 2009

Dear all:

I've two questions:

1)  I've been trying to building python as a 64-bit version on OS 10.5.
I'm not too familiar with building python from scratch, and a number of
basic attempts made from piecing together things I've seen on the web have
failed.   (For instance,

      ./configure --enable-framework --disable-toolbox-glue
--with-universal-archs=all  --with-gcc="gcc -m64"

leads to a failure when I try to do "make", as do all other similar variants
I've tried.)

So, is there a good source where I can find step-by-step 64-bit build
instructions?  (I'd like to do it if possible as a framework build.)  I've
looked it up a lot on google but am mostly getting fragments of descriptions
of errors with other people's builds.

2)  I often use a number of python extensions like matplot, pylab, and
ipython.   Will these (especially the graphics parts) be able to build on
top of my 64-bit installation?  Is there some way to find out if they will
likely work without actually having to build them?

Thanks,
Dan