Winsound Problems on Vista 64

Casey Caseyweb at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 09:58:43 EST 2009

I have a new laptop that came with Vista 64 and I'm having problems
with some of my older code that I use for multimedia processing.  I
narrowed the problem down to the winsound library; any attempt to play
sounds results in a fatal error.  The simplest case is:

>>> from winsound import Beep
>>> Beep(440, 2)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<input>", line 1, in <module>
RuntimeError: Failed to beep

I have been able to recreate this problem in Python 2.6.1 (32-bit),
3.0.1 (32-bit) and 3.0.1 (AMD64 bit, which I hope is compliant with my
IA64 CPU).  I didn't find any open issues in the Python issue
tracker.  I would appreciate it if someone would confirm the issue on
Vista 64 (I want to rule out that it is something with my audio
configuration).  Also, if someone with Vista 32 could try this?