Windows install to custom location after building from source

dan.erik.petersen at gmail.com dan.erik.petersen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 03:52:00 EST 2009

Hi all -

I have succeeded in building Python 2.6.1 from source under Windows XP
by running Visual C++ 2008 Express on the PCbuild/pcbuild.sln file
both from the Visual C++ application as well as from the commandline
using :

vcbuild pcbuild.sln 'Release|Win32'

This builds fine (allowing for errors in the build of modules like
sql3 and the like where I have not fetched source code), and creates
its products "in-place" in the source directory.

My question/desire is :

I would like to move this Python installation in a clean manner over
to another location outside the unpackaged source directory (e.g. from
C:\Python-2.6.1 to C:\custom_path\python). Is there already some
automatic command that can perform this? If not, which files do I move
where and what should the structure be? How do ensure all the Python
code related to the install is byte-compiled and ready for use?

I have Googled as best as I can but no luck.

Thanks,

Dan