Creating an Instance Messenger type of application

Simon Forman sajmikins at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 12:58:00 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Elf Scripter<lfscripter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for correcting my mistake.
> I checked google but nothing close. did you have any idea?
>
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 5:42 PM, Simon Forman <sajmikins at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Elf Scripter<lfscripter at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> > Has anyone created an Instance Messenger in Python before, i mean a
>> > simple
>> > or Complex GUI based instance messenger?
>> > I thought about something like, the client also act as server, has it`s
>> > own
>> > listening port, but how can i handle uer auth? and adding visual effects
>> > it.
>> > Please i am not trying to design another Yahoo IM/Skype but just for
>> > learning and also want to create real live application using the socket
>> > module.
>>
>> Instant, not Instance,  Did you check google?

I wouldn't try writing an IM or IRC client and/or server directly on
the socket module, unless you really really wanted the learning
experience.  You might look at the "words" sub-project of the Twisted
project [1] (although Twisted code has a significant learning curve
itself, they do almost all of the network related heavy lifting for
you.)

There's also apparently a python binding to something called libpurple
which seems to be a library used/provided by the "purple"
multi-protocol IM/IRC client (used to be called GAIM). [2]

HTH,
~Simon

[1] http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/TwistedWords
[2] http://briglia.net/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Python-purple+Howto