[RELEASED] Python 3.1 final

Hallvard B Furuseth h.b.furuseth at usit.uio.no
Mon Jun 29 07:57:49 EDT 2009

Nobody <nobody at nowhere.com> writes:
>On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 14:36:37 +0200, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> See PEP 383.
>
> Okay, that's useful, except that it may have some bugs:
> (...)
> Assuming that this gets fixed, it should make most of the problems with
> 3.0 solvable. OTOH, it wouldn't have killed them to have added e.g.
> sys.argv_bytes and os.environ_bytes.

That's hopeless to keep track of across modules if something modifies
sys.argv or os.environ.

If the current scheme for recovering the original bytes proves
insufficient, what could work is a string type which can have an
attribute with the original bytes (if the source was bytes).  And/or
sys.argv and os.environ maintaining the correspondence when feasible.

Anyway, I haven't looked at whether any of this is a problem, so don't
mind me:-)  As long as it's definitely possible to tell python once
and for all not to apply locales and string conversions, instead of
having to keep track of an ever-expanding list of variables to tame
it's bytes->character conversions (as happened with Emacs).

--
Hallvard