[RELEASED] Python 3.1 final

Nobody nobody at nowhere.com
Sun Jun 28 04:58:14 EDT 2009

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 16:12:10 -0500, Benjamin Peterson wrote:

> Python 3.1 focuses on the stabilization and optimization of the features and
> changes that Python 3.0 introduced.  For example, the new I/O system has been
> rewritten in C for speed.  File system APIs that use unicode strings now
> handle paths with undecodable bytes in them.

That's a significant improvement. It still decodes os.environ and sys.argv
before you have a chance to call sys.setfilesystemencoding(), but it
appears to be recoverable (with some effort; I can't find any way to re-do
the encoding without manually replacing the surrogates).

However, sys.std{in,out,err} are still created as text streams, and AFAICT
there's nothing you can do about this from within your code.

All in all, Python 3.x still has a long way to go before it will be
suitable for real-world use.