Good books in computer science?

Albert van der Horst albert at spenarnc.xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 27 06:48:03 EDT 2009

In article <0244e76b$0$20638$c3e8da3 at news.astraweb.com>,
Steven D'Aprano  <steve at REMOVETHIS.cybersource.com.au> wrote:
>Nathan Stoddard wrote:
>
>> The best way to become a good programmer is to program. Write a lot of
>> code; work on some large projects. This will improve your skill more than
>> anything else.
>
>I think there are about 100 million VB code-monkeys who prove that theory
>wrong.
>
>Seriously, and without denigrating any specific language, you can program by
>(almost) mindlessly following a fixed number of recipes and patterns. This
>will get the job done, but it won't make you a good programmer.

For programming practice I do the problems of http://projecteuler.net/
I'm on the Eulerians page (best performers on 25 last problems).
There is not a single VB programmer in the top 100.
(Lots of Python programmers, C-family, also Haskel, APL, LISP
Algol, Forth, Perl and I repeat not a single VB programmer.)
Currently the top place is a Python programmer.

These programs may be very demanding, minutes on very fast systems.
Bad algorithms take days, weeks or literally forever.
Interestingly the factor 5 between Python and C is irrelevant compared
to a good algorithm, apparently.

>--
>Steven

Groetjes Albert