reply to OT diversion (was: What is the best method to match a pattern in set of lines

Ross Ridge rridge at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jun 24 13:17:53 EDT 2009

aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) writes:
> Guess what?  Prior to DejaNews, discussions on Usenet *were* ephemeral,
> and it all worked.

Not really, Usenet was archived before DejaNews arrived on the scene.
I can find plenty of my posts from before then.  Regardless, Usenet
works better now that searchable archives are available on the WWW.

Dennis Lee Bieber  <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>	If there were an "X-no-google" option I'd switch... I have no real
>concerns about archives /accessed via NNTP through some paid-traceable
>account/... But look at how much effort Google has to go through in the
>attempt of obliterating email addresses in the attempt at minimizing
>collection of such by spammers...

Uh... this makes no sense.  X-No-Archive does nothing to prevent spammers
from harvesting your e-mail address.  Your current posts are available
to spammers for free on NNTP and WWW servers all over the 'net with or
without the header.  At least Google does try to hide your e-mail address,
other WWW sites don't bother:

	http://www.rhinocerus.net/forum/lang-python/571842-re-pyserial-question.html

You'd be more protected from spammers with an X-Google-Only option.

					Ross Ridge

--
 l/  //	  Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo]  rridge at csclub.uwaterloo.ca