GNUstep and Python

Lele Gaifax lele at metapensiero.it
Wed Jun 24 03:41:05 EDT 2009

Eric Brunel <eric.brunel at nospam-pragmadev.com> writes:

> Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
>> Paul Watson schrieb:
>> There is the pyobjc-binding for OSX, maybe that's suitable for GNUStep.
>
> Apparently, it's not: There was some compatibility in earlier versions, but
> it's been officially removed in version 2.0. See
> http://pyobjc.sourceforge.net/NEWS-2.0.html :
> "GNUstep support has been removed because this has never worked properly,
> nobody seems interested in fixing that and the internal APIs of PyObjC have
> changed greatly."

It's been a lot of time ago, but that is wrong: when I initially
implemented PyObjC I put a lot of effort in understanding the
differences between the NeXT and the GNU ObjC runtimes, and PyObjC used
to work ok on both, with a slight bias toward the GNU runtime (having
the source at hands helps, as you know :-)

Version 2.0 brought major changes to the internals, mainly to support
the new MacOS frameworks, with tools to automatically create the needed
glue interfaces between the two worlds.

Too bad I wasn't involved/motivated enough to keep the GNU runtime
support up-to-date, and it was finally declared obsolete and removed.

Just a few cents of clarity,
ciao, lele.
--
nickname: Lele Gaifax    | Quando vivrò di quello che ho pensato ieri
real: Emanuele Gaifas    | comincerò ad aver paura di chi mi copia.