Meta question: disappearing posts (was Re: calculating a self.value, self.randomnum = normalvariate(x, y))

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Jun 23 23:13:37 EDT 2009

In article <h1o1dk$hmc$1 at rumours.uwaterloo.ca>,
Ross Ridge  <rridge at csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:

>>>replies to other postings that I don't see.
>>
>>As stated previously, my suspicion is that at least some is caused by a
>>problem with MIME messages and the mail->news gateway on python.org.
>
>I'm not sure what MIME would have to do with it, but Piet van Oostrum's
>problem is almost certainly as result of the python.org mail to news
>gateway mangling the References header.  The missing postings he's looking
>for don't actually exist.  Just go up the thread one more posting and
>you'll find the message that was being replied to.

While that's also a bug in Mailman (I have a long-standing to-do item to
fix that), there are also plenty of posts that simply aren't showing up
in c.l.py.  As I said, I'm pretty sure (based on what was happening with
c.l.py.announce) that it's some kind of weird problem with the mail->news
gateway with MIME posts.