launch a .py file from a batch file

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Tue Jun 23 17:52:34 EDT 2009

Che M wrote:

>>> Well, I renamed my script to have a .pyw extension, and then ran the line
>>> above.  Without quotes, it doesn't find it (because I have spaces in the
>>> path).
>>> With quotes it just opens a console and does nothing (does not launch the
>>> app).
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>> Use
>>
>> @start "" "path\MyPythonApp.pyw"
>>
>> The first item in quotes is the window title. If you only include the
>> path (in quotes) it's taken as a title, which is why you need the
>> second set of quotes.
>>
>> Paul.
>>

> Unfortunately, when I try that it says "Windows cannot find [that
> file]", etc.
> And yet I am copying the filename right from the file manager and it
> IS
> there.
>
> What's also odd is that if I open the file using cd and then just
> putting
> the filename on the next line, that file (which I gave a .pyw
> extension)
> doesn't open, but a file that has a .py extension does.
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks.
> Che

If you run the xx.pyw file interactively, does it work?  If not, perhaps
the pyw file association is broken.  It, along with the py association,
should have been set up by the Python install.

You can check it (and fix it) with
   assoc and ftype.   Here's what mine look like:

M:\>assoc .pyw
.pyw=Python.NoConFile

M:\>ftype Python.NoConFile
Python.NoConFile="C:\ProgFiles\Python26\pythonw.exe" "%1" %*

Or, as I said in an earlier message, you could explicitly specify the
interpreter to be run on the start line.

Something like:
 @start "notitle"  "c:\ProgFiles\Python26\pythonw.exe"  "path\script.pyw"