Meta question: disappearing posts (was Re: calculating a self.value, self.randomnum = normalvariate(x, y))

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Sun Jun 21 08:25:13 EDT 2009

I notice that I see several postings on news:comp.lang.python that are
replies to other postings that I don't see. Examples are the postings by
Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> that I am replying to (but I
break the thread on purpose). For example the posting with Message-ID:
<mailman.1883.1245538633.8015.python-list at python.org> references:
<77e831100906192220y5536d9d2oe5ca2dcc59084c0c at mail.gmail.com> which is
not present on my news server. I have been wondering why these
disappear, and I noticed the following in the Dennis Lee Bieber posting:
On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 11:48:21 -0600, Vincent Davis
<vincent at vincentdavis.net> declaimed the following in
gmane.comp.python.general:

So apparently some of these come through gmane.comp.python.general.

So my question is: would this be the cause of these disappearing
postings? Are postings on gmane.comp.python.general not relayed to
comp.lang.python? Are they relayed to the python mailing list? I find it
quite disturbing that sometimes only half of a discussion is visible.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>
Private email: piet at vanoostrum.org