Rich comparison methods don't work in sets?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 19:32:50 EDT 2009

On 2009-06-20 18:22, Terry Reedy wrote:
> Gustavo Narea wrote:
>> Hello again, everybody.
>>
>> Thank you very much for your responses. You guessed right, I didn't
>> use the __hash__ method (and I forgot to mention that, sorry).
>>
>> And unfortunately, I think I can't make them hashable, because the
>> objects are compared based on their attributes, which are in turn
>> other kind of objects compared based on other attributes. All these
>> class instances are compared with __eq__/__ne__ and they wrap
>> relatively complex data which would be hard to attempt to represent
>> them unambiguously using a 32-bit integer. That's why I'm afraid I
>> cannot use hashables.
>
> If the result of 'o1 == o2' changes over time, then the objects are not
> very suitable as set members.

Sometimes, I think it would be nice if sets and the other containers could be
modified to accept a user-supplied hash and comparison functions on
construction. A key function like list.sort() would probably also work. Even
when you have objects that aren't hashable in general, there are many times when
you know you will not be modifying them in a given context. Being able to do set
operations on them in that context would be really useful.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco