How to check if file is open on Windows XP?

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Sat Jun 20 04:39:10 EDT 2009

Dudeja, Rajat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a fascility that can check if the file is open on Windows XP
> and if the file is open (say a notepad file is open), I want to close that file
> (i.e the notepad application)

In short, this is far trickier than you might imagine.
It's come up a number of times on the Python / Python-win32
lists. A recent thread is here:

  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2009-May/713077.html

But if you simply Google for things like:

  site:mail.python.org sysinternals handle

You'll get a bunch of hits asking / answering the same thing.

TJG