Status of Python threading support (GIL removal)?

Jure Erznožnik jure.erznoznik at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 19:49:39 EDT 2009

On Jun 20, 1:36 am, a... at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:

> You should put up or shut up -- I've certainly seen multi-core speedup
> with threaded software, so show us your benchmarks!
> --

Sorry, no intent to offend anyone here. Flame wars are not my thing.

I have shown my benchmarks. See first post and click on the link.
That's the reason I started this discussion.

All I'm saying is that you can get threading benefit, but only if the
threading in question is implemented in C plugin.
I have yet to see pure Python code which does take advantage of
multiple cores. From what I read about GIL, this is simply impossible
by design.

But I'm not disputing the fact that cPython as a whole can take
advantage of multiple cores. There certainly are built-in objects that
work as they should.