Status of Python threading support (GIL removal)?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Jun 19 19:35:18 EDT 2009

In article <157e0345-74e0-4144-a2e6-2b4cc854ce37 at z7g2000vbh.googlegroups.com>,
Carl Banks  <pavlovevidence at gmail.com> wrote:

>I wish Pythonistas would be more willing to acknowledge the (few)
>drawbacks of the language (or implementation, in this case) instead of
>all this rationalization.

Please provide more evidence that Pythonistas are unwilling to
acknowledge the drawbacks of the GIL.  I think you're just spreading FUD.
The problem is that discussions about the GIL almost invariably include
false statements about the GIL, and I'm certainly not going to hamper my
writing to always include the caveats about GIL drawbacks while
correcting the wrong information.