Is this pylint error message valid or silly?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jun 19 02:55:52 EDT 2009

Matthew Wilson wrote:
> Here's the code that I'm feeding to pylint:
>
>     $ cat f.py
>     from datetime import datetime
>
>     def f(c="today"):

pylint infers that you intend users to pass a string. Human would guess
the same at this point.

>         if c == "today":
>                     c = datetime.today()

Now I guess that you actually intend c to be passed as a datetime
object. You only used the string as a type annotation, not as a real
default value. Something like 'record_date = None' is better.

>         return c.date()

and here you ask for the input's date, which strings do not have.