TypeError: int argument required

Rhodri James rhodri at wildebst.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 15 07:02:32 EDT 2009

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 01:33:50 +0100, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

> In message <mailman.1565.1245019944.8015.python-list at python.org>, Rhodri
> James wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 10:43:30 +0100, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>> <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <mailman.1510.1244832141.8015.python-list at python.org>,
>>> Rhodri

>>> Backslashes are more scalable.
>>
>> That doesn't excuse sprinkling several million backslashes through
>> literal
>> constants when there's a more readable alternative.
>
> Perl allows just about any printable character as a quote. I tried
> alternative quotes for many years, and decided making that choice was a
> waste of brain cells.
>
> So no, using alternative quotes does not make things more readable.

I find it odd that you consider qquoting less scalable than backslashes.
I also find it odd that you dislike two visuals stutters (at the start
and end of string) so much that you'll put up with a dozen visual
stutters in the string to avoid them.  Particular since my years of
Perl-bashing lead me to the opposite conclusion.