Question about None

Mel mwilson at the-wire.com
Sun Jun 14 10:21:22 EDT 2009

John Yeung wrote:

> And I accept your answer, as well as Steven's and Paul's for that
> matter.  I still think it is understandable (and people may choose to
> understand in a condescending way, if they wish) that someone might
> not get the difference between what you are saying and the statement
> that all elements of the empty set are floats.  I mean, what's in the
> empty set?  Nothing.  But you've said that floats are something.  How
> is it that nothing is something?

It's sort of a logic equivalent of divide-by-zero.

All elements of the empty set are floats.
All elements of the empty set are ints.
Ints are not floats.
Therefore all elements of the empty set are not floats.

You elaborate your logic to talk around this problem, and you quit when you
get tired.

        Mel.