install Python-2.4.4 from source (parallel to existing Python-2.6)

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Fri Jun 12 10:49:04 EDT 2009

Simon wrote:
> I installed Python-2.4.4.tar.bz2 from python.org, using gcc-4.3 (within
> openSUSE 11.1 x86_64) via 'make altinstall'.
>
> First, I tried to configure with the following flags:
> --prefix=/opt/python-24 --enable-framework --with-pydebug
> This provoked an error during compilation via make (sorry, the list was
> so long, but I will post it, if it helps).

--enable-framework is for Mac OS X only.

> Second, configured again without any flags. The installation by 'make
> altinstall' to /usr/local was a success. Python2.6 seams unaffected,
> too. So, I got my parallel installation.

You have chosen the correct and canonical way to install a parallel
installation of Python.

> However, I cannot import modules like Tkinter or readline within python2.4.

You must install the development library of tk, readline, zlib and
libbz2 prior to configure && make.

Try this on your box:

zypper install gcc make autoconf automake libtool zlib-devel
readline-devel tk-devel tcl-devel sqlite2-devel libbz2-devel
libopenssl-devel