multi-core software

Jon Harrop jon at ffconsultancy.com
Sun Jun 7 17:29:06 EDT 2009

Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> Jon Harrop wrote:
>> Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>>>
>>> In which case, Jon, you're in a small minority.
>>
>> No. Most programmers still care about performance and performance means
>> mutable state.
>
> Quite apart from performance and mutable state, I believe we were
> talking about mutable _shared_ state. And this is something that gets a
> _lot_ of people into trouble.

Nonsense. Scientists have been writing parallel programs for decades using
shared state extensively without whining about it. Databases are mutable
shared state but millions of database programmers solve real problems every
day without whining about it.

Use your common sense and you can write efficient parallel programs today
with little difficulty. I do.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/?u