Iterating Over Dictionary From Arbitrary Location

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Jun 7 12:42:11 EDT 2009

In article <mailman.1241.1244301490.8015.python-list at python.org>,
akindo  <akindo01 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>So, it seems I want the best of both worlds: specific indexing using
>my own IDs/keys (not just by list element location), sorting and the
>ability to start iterating from a specific location. I am trying to
>prevent having to scan through a list from the beginning to find the
>desired ID, and then return all elements after that. Is there another
>data structure or design pattern which will do what I want? Thanks a
>lot for any help! :)

One option is to maintain both a dict and a list; it doesn't cost much
memory because the individual elements don't get copied.  See various
"ordered dictionary" implementations for ideas on coding this.

"If you don't know what your program is supposed to do, you'd better not
start writing it."  --Dijkstra