Project source code layout?

Thu Jun 4 05:33:13 EDT 2009

In message <mailman.1089.1244091958.8015.python-list at python.org>, Allen
Fowler wrote:

> I was hoping to keep the dev layout as close to deployment possible.

Completely different purposes. For example, the actual production database
and config files form no part of your development project, do they? And
conversely, utility scripts that might be used, for example, to set up a
database, should not be part of the production installation.

Here's one layout I used in a production system for an online shop:

    /home/shop/bin -- binaries (CGI and daemon)
    /home/shop/lib -- common libraries for binaries
    /home/shop/config -- configuration files, incl format templates
    /home/shop/state -- socket for interprocess communication, log files