unittest - what is the best way to reuse test data?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jun 3 12:40:51 EDT 2009

Mike wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm writing an application that needs to fetch a json file from a
> webserver. I'm writing the tests and have a question:
>
> if I have the following methods:
>
> def test_headers(self):
>     headers = libary.get_data(data)
>     check header status

With no json experience specifically....

Checking I/O is nasty since the test running correctly depends on
external resources running correctly and not just your program.  I would
separate I/O tests from 'process the data' checks and do the latter with
canned data.  If the canned data built into the test is the same as that
on the test server, then testing the fetch is an equality test.