pep 8 constants

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Sun Jun 28 10:09:21 EDT 2009

Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
> Brendan Miller a écrit :
>> PEP 8 doesn't mention anything about using all caps to indicate a
>> constant.
>>
>> Is all caps meaning "don't reassign this var" a strong enough
>> convention to not be considered violating good python style? I see a
>> lot of people using it, but I also see a lot of people writing
>> non-pythonic code... so I thought I'd see what the consensus is.
>
> Most - if not all - of the python code I've seen so far used this
> convention, and I always used (and respected) it myself.

I reject this convention because any form of caps significantly increases vocal
load for disabled programmers using speech recognition through extra utterances,
and degraded recognition.

In my experience, language conventions like this come about because most geeks
generally don't think about disabled programmers and the effect that language
changes will have on them.  I deal by trying to build my accessibility tools as
best I can but handling stuff like pep 8 is hard because it requires a smart
environment that know the meanings of every class, method. or variable so it can
lead the grammar in the right direction. ThenWenUHve names like this.  Cr** in a
stick.  you might as well take a gun to my wrists because that is how much pain
I will be in typing them.  again need *good* editor support for English to name
translation.

so I reject pep 8 because I have no voice safe alternative