C-extension 2 times slower than exe

Rolf Wester rolf.wester at ilt.fraunhofer.de
Tue Jun 23 09:51:48 EDT 2009

Hi,

I have a C++ program that I would like to steer using Python. I made the
wrapper using swig and linked the code (without the main function) into
a shared object. My Python script loads the extension and calls a
function of the C-extension, the rest runs entirely within the
C-extension. For comparison I compiled the code including the main
function with the same compilation options and linked all into an exe.
The main function of the exe calls the same function as my Python script
does. Surprisingly the code in the Python C-extension runs twice as long
as the same code in the exe. Does anyone know what could be the reason
for this behaviour?

Thank you in advance

Rolf