Make-up of computer

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Jun 14 03:55:48 EDT 2009

"Mr . Waqar Akbar" <wqr.akbar at gmail.com> writes:

> A computer is a collection of modular electronic components, i.e.
> components that can be replaced by other components that may have
> different characteristics that are capable of running computer
> programs.

And also storing and manipulating all sorts of other digital
information, not just programs.

> Thus, the term "hardware" refers to all the material elements of a
> computer and "software" refers to the program parts.

Rather, “software” refers to *all* the streams of bits. Whether a bit
stream is interpreted as a program, a graphic image, a document, or all
three simultaneously — or any of countless other potential
interpretations for a bit stream — is transitory, and doesn't affect
its nature as “software”.

Or, as the aphorism goes: The hardware is the parts of the computer you
can kick, and the software is everything else in the computer.

--
 \          “I spilled spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.” —Steven |
  `\                                                            Wright |