Installing 3.1 questions

jyoung79 at kc.rr.com jyoung79 at kc.rr.com
Mon Jun 1 22:15:20 EDT 2009

Can anyone give me info on what and where Python installs on OS X?
I ran the installers for version 2.6 and 3.0 and only installed Python
(not IDLE, etc).  I then added this to my .profile:

PATH="/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.0/bin:${PATH}"
PATH="/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin:${PATH}"
PATH="/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:${PATH}"
export PATH

Seems to work, but I'd like to know where Python installs its items.  I'm
wanting to test version 3.1 and downloaded the 'Bzipped source tar ball'
file (not sure of the difference between it and the 'Gzipped' one).  Do I
need to run some sort of 'install' command from the Terminal to get
3.1 to work?  Or can I manually drag the items to a correct location and
then update my .profile?

Thanks for taking the time to look at my questions.

Jay