Problem building 64-bit python 2.6.2 on Solaris 10

John Center john.center at villanova.edu
Mon Jun 1 09:05:52 EDT 2009

On May 29, 7:13 pm, "Martin v. Löwis" <mar... at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> Ah, too much text - I was confused by you reporting two issues in a
> single email message. That has exhausted my capacity for quick message
> scanning.

Sorry about that.  I have a tendency to over document...

> So this is a ctypes problem. You'll have to ignore it - there is
> absolutely no way that you could possibly build the ctypes module
> with Sun CC (short of rewriting ctypes to support it, of course).
> Use gcc if you need the ctypes module, or accept not having the ctypes
> module available.

I was afraid that would be the case.  I have gcc4sparc, but I usually
build with Sun Studio.  I believe gcc4sparc uses the Sun Studio
backend.  I'll try this, but do you know if I would need to do
anything different to get the ctypes code to compile?

> Unfortunately, no. It is definitely *not* Python who is searching for
> these libraries. That you had been passing them to ld during linkage
> doesn't help at all. Linking succeeds just fine; Python then tries
> to load the the _ssl module, which in turn causes the *dynamic* linker
> (ld.so.1) to search for the shared library; it doesn't find it and
> therefore gives up loading _ssl.so.

Ok, so it looks like the only option here is to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Thanks, Martin.

    -John