Simple metaclass code failing

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Mon Jun 1 05:38:05 EDT 2009

[snip]

>L> I guess the resulting MROs do not satisfy monotonicity, I
>L> just have to find out how to derive the MRO. I had the notion that it
>L> was constructed by listing the current class, followed by the MROs of
>L> each base in order, and then retaining the rightmost instance of each
>L> class in the MRO list, but I think that might be an
>L> oversimplification, since in this case that would be:
>L> (C1, object)
>L> (C2, C1, object)
>L> (C3, C2, C1, object)
>L> And I don't see any issues. But I'll read the paper to figure out what
>L> the problem is, thanks.

Here is exactly the problem. Merging the two MRO's as you state would
give C3, C2, C1, object, i.e. C2 before C1.

But your class definition:

class C3(C1, C2):
says that C1 should be before C2. Conflict!!
Change it to class C3(C2, C1):

You see it has nothing to do with the metaclasses. The following code
gives the same error:

class C1(object):
    pass
class C2(C1):