what I would like python.el to do (and maybe it does)

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Mon Jun 1 05:07:02 EDT 2009

>JKK> Well, that's the thing -- type a statement into a python interpreter and
>JKK> you just get a new prompt.

>JKK> LISP has a REPL, so you get some sort of feedback printed.

iPython also has a REPL, but only when you enter the Python code
manually in the iPython window.

>JKK> However, some sort of visual cue on the emacs side would be nice. Either
>JKK> just flash the block of code being sent or a minibuffer message would be
>JKK> nice.

>JKK> Look for some SLIME tutorial videos on youtube to see some great
>JKK> interpreter <-> editor interaction.

I have tried out SLIME with SBCL (just some simple code) but I didn't
like the feedback. I got unnecessary compiler warnings, and it was
difficult to find some useful information in it.

>JKK> The stock Python interpreter probably wouldn't cut it close to something
>JKK> like SLIME in terms of features, but the iPython package might be a
>JKK> start.

For now the iPython package for me has more options than I have had time
to try out.
On the other hand when you execute some code form a Python file (with
C-c C-c or C-c |) you get this
 ## working on region in file /tmp/python-26084kfr.py... in the *Python*
buffer which is very uninformative. This is generated by python-mode,
not by iPython. You do get any output printed in the code, however, as
well as exceptions.

I have made a change in my Python mode such that the
## working on region in file /tmp/python-26084kfr.py...
message will be replaced by the actual code executed, if that code is
not too big (size configurable). And that looks nicer.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>
Private email: piet at vanoostrum.org