Python docs disappointing

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 18:03:25 EDT 2009

On Jul 31, 2:28 pm, kj <no.em... at please.post> wrote:
> In <e22013d0-fbad-44e0-919b-ad5bb5f2d... at g19g2000vbi.googlegroups.com> Carl Banks <pavlovevide... at gmail.com> writes:
>
> >(omg you have to use a
> >*mouse*)
>
> That's precisely the point.  There's a huge number of programmers
> out there who, like me, *hate* to use the mouse while they're
> coding.

You would have figured one of them would have written a script or
something if there were so many.  Maybe check the Python Cookbook for
someone's pet trick, I bet there is one or two there.  Or figure out a
way to use elinks, the text mode web browser.  You know, text mode
browsers have come a long way since the lynx days.

> It is truly disappointing to us that the developers of
> Python chose to completely disregard this constituency.

Python is a volunteer effort, chief.

If all these programmers have this itch, as you claim, they've all
disregarded themselves by failing to contribute something.

> This is one area in which Perl still whips Python...

No way.  Perl's man pages are organized so poorly there is no
ergonomic pit deep enough to offset them.  Quick, what man page is the
"do" statement documented in?

Carl Banks