supported versions policy?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jul 31 12:39:21 EDT 2009

Gary Wilson wrote:
> Does Python have a formal policy on the support lifetime (bug fixes,
> security fixes, etc.) for major and minor versions?  I did a bit of
> searching on the Python web site and this group, but didn't find
> anything.  If there is a policy posted somewhere (and I just didn't
> dig deep enough), would someone please point me in the right
> direction.  If there is no posted policy, would someone be kind enough
> to describe the practiced policy here.

Defining Pyx.y.z as Pymajor.minor.bugfix, the last normal bugfix comes
out about the same time as the next minor. True security fixes (very
rare) come out for a couple of years thereafter. (Exception, 3.0 support
ended with 3.0.1 -- it should be replaced with 3.1.) Currently Py2 and
Py3 are running in parallel. The future 2.7.z's will probably be the end
of the Py2 series. Everything is contingent on voluteer time to do the
above.

tjr