IDLE Config Problems

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 01:28:06 EDT 2009

On Jul 30, 6:55 am, "Russ Davis" <Russ.Da... at njpines.state.nj.us>
wrote:
> I am just getting started with Python and have installed v. 2.5.4
> Idle version 1.2.4  I can't seem to get the idle to display text.  It
> seems as if the install went fine.  I start up the idle and the screen
> is blank.  No text.  It seems as if I can type on the screen but I just
> can't see the characters.

Is this the official python.org distribution you're trying? I can't
speak from experience, but I'm wondering if it doesn't include the
pyreadline module by default, which you'll require under Windows
(although I would've expected to hear more problems like your's if
this is the case). You can easily check this by going to C:
\Python25\Lib\site-packages and looking for a folder or a file called
pyreadline. If it's not, you'll have to install it separately.

If you're not already familiar with it, I do recommend checking out
the ActiveState ActivePython distribution instead, especially if
you're working under Windows. It includes a lot of Windows-specific
3rd party modules, such as the win32all modules, and it definitely
includes pyreadline.

Is there any particular reason why you're opting for Python 2.5.x? 2.6
should be pretty compatible with most things in the 2.x stream and
it's a handy stepping stone towards using 3.x (which, admittedly, is
probably the last of your concerns when you're first setting up...)