simple splash screen?

Martin P. Hellwig martin.hellwig at dcuktec.org
Wed Jul 29 14:16:31 EDT 2009

NighterNet wrote:
> I am trying to make a simple splash screen from python 3.1.Not sure
> where to start looking for it. Can any one help?

Sure, almost the same as with Python 2 :-)
But to be a bit more specific:
++++
"""Only works if you got Python 3 installed with tkinter"""
import tkinter

IMAGE_PATH = "/path/to/image"

class Splash(object):
     "Splash Screen GUI"
     def __init__(self, root):
         self.root = root
         # No window borders and decoration
         self.root.overrideredirect(True)
         # Get the size of the screen
         screen_width = self.root.winfo_screenwidth()
         screen_height = self.root.winfo_screenheight()
         # Full screen
         geometry_text = "%dx%d+0+0" % (screen_width, screen_height)
         self.root.geometry(geometry_text)
         # Display an image
         self.label = tkinter.Label(self.root)
         # Only GIF and PGM/PPM supported, for more information see:
         self.label._image = tkinter.PhotoImage(file=IMAGE_PATH)
         # http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/photoimage.htm
         self.label.configure(image = self.label._image)
         self.label.pack()
         # This will quit the screen after about 5 seconds
         self.root.after(5000, self.root.quit)

if __name__ == '__main__':
     ROOT = tkinter.Tk()
     APPL = Splash(ROOT)