FTP Offset larger than file.

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Tue Jul 28 12:36:56 EDT 2009

Bakes wrote:
> On 28 July, 15:18, Bakes <ba... at ymail.com> wrote:

>>> I'd say you failed to take buffering into account.  You write into a
>>> buffered file, yet you use os.path.getsize() to find out the current
>>> file size.  If the data is not yet flushed, you keep re-reading the same
>>> stuff from the remote file, and writing it out.  Once the buffer is
>>> flushed, your file will contain more data than was retrieved from the
>>> remote side, and eventually this will result in the error you see.
>>>
>>> As a quick fix, you can add a file.flush() line after the
>>> file.write(...) line, and the problem should go away.
>>>
>> Thank you very much, that worked perfectly.
>>

> Actually, no it didn't. That fix works seamlessly in Linux, but gave
> the same error in a Windows environment. Is that expected?

This is a text file you're transferring.  And you didn't specify "wb".
So the Windows size will be larger than the Unix size, since you're
expanding the newline characters.

getsize() is looking at the size after newlines are expanded to 0d0a,
while The remote file, presumably a Unix system likely has just has 0a.

I think you'd do best just keeping track of the bytes you've written.

DaveA